Monday, September 19, 2005

T-Mobile - Liars & Providers of Shoddy Service

Well, it would seem that the jolly chaps over at T-Mobile are a big bunch of liars. Kieren McCarthy was nearly stung by them in their wonderful attempt at obfuscating the non-service they offer in terms of sending and receiving email from one's (his) mobile phone. I suspect he is not alone on this.
They cunningly use a lot of back chat and delaying tactics to make sure you exceed your '7 days to cancel' cooling off period, so that you are locked into the good ol' 12 month contract.
Kieren, luckily is a smart and persistant kind of guy, and managed to get them to fess up to their services' lamentable shortcomings.
The transcript (and an MP3 recording of the conversation are available here.
As may be evident from my tone, I'm not the biggest fan of T-Mobile, and think their customer service veers between crap and diabolical (on a good day).
My lovely other half recently tried to get an upgrade through them to a more 'Business Usage' friendly kind of tariff, and ended up having her contract cancelled by T-Mobile, apparantly on some whim of one of their internal divisions. She was only informed of this when she rang to enquire where her new phone was. Superb.
For myself, I tried to get a new phone out of them earlier on this year, and when (due to no fault of my own whatsoever) the phone was stolen before it even got to me, T-Mobile claimed that in order for me to get another phone, I would have to pay the £200 for the old one. Naturally, I refused, and asked to get a PAC number to take my custom to another network. Once again, they said I'd need to settle the 'outstanding' £200 on the account before they could do this. Just to re-iterate, this was for a phone I had never received. Cool, eh?
7 weeks later (!), I managed to get them to cave in, and at this point took my custom to a slightly more reliable service provider, where I have been realiably informed that 'The future is bright'. Enough clues?

Added to this, the new chav-friendly ad campaigns ('Mates Rates' - oh please....)that T-Nobile (intentional) are running, it seems pretty clear to me that as a telecom provider they should be avoided at all costs - those costs mainly being shouldered by oneself.

Avoid!!!!

No comments: